Saturday, March 30, 2019

There is only one story


But the bonding benefits of storytelling only work if you’re good at it. Many of us, even those who tell stories for a living, are not. We repeat stories we’ve told before. We tell tales that don’t have a point. We fail to pay attention to our audience, choosing stories that are inappropriate or ignoring clues that our listener is bored, annoyed or confused. And we don’t know how to edit ourselves, throwing in every detail we find fascinating, no matter how irrelevant.
WSJ


there's only one story
to tell
and I've been telling it
for years
*
there's only one person
who can tell it
right
and that's me
*
not you 
nor your therapist
nor your boss
and not your parents
*
the one story
is so good
it can be repeated
endlessly
*
but only by me
and only when 
I feel like it
and you buy me a drink
*
otherwise there are no stories
not in the true sense
there are only 
words strung together
*
meaninglessly
marginally
mundanely
mordantly
*
but I'll give you
a break
here is the One True Story
in a single word:

scrambled eggs




No comments:

Post a Comment