Sunday, October 11, 2020

Prose Poem: Clouding the Prospects

 



@aduehren

At today's family council meeting

 the prospects were clouded

 for any immediate consensus 

on the most crucial items.


The meeting was held at the

dining room table,

after blondies and a 

powdered milk beverage

were served.


Our family had been in crisis mode

ever since I lost my job several months

ago.

At today's meeting I proposed a 

massive increase in Jimmy

and Suzie's allowances,

to jump start the household

economy.


"But dad" said Jimmy in exasperation,

"Where will you get the money to pay us?"

"Not a problem" I assured him.

"I'm getting you each a credit card."


"Now honey" said wifey dear,

"is that prudent?"

"Damn the prudence" I said bravely,

"full spending ahead!"

I was given a rousing cheer

by several persons,

and the fish eye by others.

A great leader once said:

You can't please everyone.


But the motion failed to carry,

and so wifey dear said she would

go back to work as a bookbinder

at the University. It didn't pay much,

but she could always bring home

first folios and Gutenberg pamphlets

that were just cluttering up the place

for us to sell online.


But Suzie said "I don't want mommy

to go back to work. The house isn't any

fun when she's gone."

"Quiet, you!" I snarled at her.

If you're not firm with five-year-olds

they tend to coopt the whole shootin' match.

We then adjourned for an hour

so certain members of the council

could throw crockery at me and

call me a 'beast.'


When we resumed I made a motion

that we move to a frozen lake in

Canada, to live off of moose and 

pine nuts.

This was shouted down in such

a rude manner that I pulled off the

table clothe to build myself a tent

to sulk in.


The meeting then adjourned sine die.

And I ate the rest of the blondies.

No comments:

Post a Comment