Saturday, October 10, 2020

Prose Poem: A Pointless Fad.

 





It's just a pointless fad.

I mean, who really knows what

it means?

I confess that I don't.

"Think."

It's on shirts, caps, sweaters, jackets, 

and even on bras

(I saw them in the window at Victoria's Secret.)

Think about what?

About who?

Don't we all be thinking all the time?


So I performed a mind experiment.

I purposely stopped thinking.

Sat in a chair in a darkened

silent room.

And thought nothing.

Let my mind go blank.

Until I could hear dust motes crashing

in midair.

Felt the Brownian Motion on my face.

And fell into an omnivorous trance.


I came out of the trance

a changed man.

I had discovered the secret of

turning off my brain.

I could stop thinking

whenever I wanted.

I thought about teaching

workshops and starting 

a podcast.

Or rather,

I didn't think about those things.

I no longer see the need

or feel an urgency

to think. Ever.

And I have prospered greatly.

Gilbert and Sullivan knew what

they were talking about when 

they wrote:

"He thought so little they rewarded he;

and now he is the ruler of the Queen's Navy!"

Thinking will only give you thoughts;

but not thinking will give you a peaceful

absence of annoyance.

Plus, there are large and wealthy groups

that will pay you to not think about specific

things --

STOP THINKING AND GROW RICH.

That'll be on every item in my fashion line.

Which consists of empty spools of thread.



No comments:

Post a Comment